Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Visitor


★★★
(Enjoyed It)



Director: Thomas McCarthy
Starring: Richard Jenkins, Haaz Sleiman, Danai Jekesai Gurira, Hiam Abbass
Rating: PG-13
Runtime: 104 Minutes
Distributor: Overture Films
Release: April 11, 2008
Notes: Academy Award Nomination for Best Actor - Richard Jenkins


Introduction

In light of the Academy Award nominations, I have stumbled across a few brow raisers. The two in question are Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor" and Melissa Leo in "Frozen River". Granted, I had no doubts about either one of their performances, I just found it weird that I did not hear about either one until the nominations were announced. That said, the first film I got around to seeing was "The Visitor". Quite frankly, it's quite hard to go with this film aside a few complaints.

The Film

We come across Walter Vale (Richard Jenkins) who is a college professor in Connecticut and lives a life of seclusion. Walter spends a lot time alone due to his wife passing away by practicing the piano and writing a new book. When Walter gets called to New York to present a paper, he leaves and spends time at his apartment near the conference. It's here that the story's plot takes form. Walter walks in on two people living in his apartment, Tarek (Haaz Sleiman) and Zanaib (Danai Jekesai Gurira). Not kicking them out completely, a friendship eventually grows between Walter and Tarek and Zanaib. Tarek and Walter are able to connect due to Tarek being an impressive djembe player. Walter himself even takes up the djembe with Tarek and eventually play with eachother in Central park. All the characters are extremely likeable in their own ways. I found it very hard to nitpick about any of the characters and I feel that everyone has a connection with each one of the characters in some way or another.

The easy standout in the film is Richard Jenkins, who earned an Academy Award nomination that's easily earned. Jenkins gives off a classic character study performance. I just had a good time watching his personalitly transform from the beginning of the film to the end. For Richard Jenkins it just seemed that role came so easy to him and that he had no troubles expressing Walter Vale. Tarek also plays a standout in the film, I just personally felt a connection with how truthful and happy he lives. Tarek's mother Mouna (Hiam Abbass) finally ventures into the film towards the end. Hiam Abbass gives another good role, just maybe a little cliche. She just felt to me as the straight up concerned mother that would do anything for her son, a common character played in the film industry. However it's hard to knock a film off for that, because that's just a common character that cannot be changed.

My main gripe with the film is that I felt it just got too boring or sluggish in some parts. I felt that a few scenes were carried just a little too long. I personally wished that Tarek's viewpoint of the situation was played out a little bit more from his perspective. Ultimately what I feel is memorable about the film are the characters themselves, with the story slightly lagging behind. I feel that the first half and the very end hold much more weight over any other part of the film.


I personally feel it's hard to dislike "The Visitor". The characters are so likeable I would have a hard time finding anyone with an objection to them. However, while the characters are the main standouts, the film is a little slow at times. The film is certainly one that will slowly and unexpectedly take people and absolutely surprise them. Others may sit and watch the film and that surprise may never come. I guess for myself I fall slightly in between the both of them. That said, I do like "The Visitor" and I give it a recommendation.





No comments:

Post a Comment