Thursday, February 26, 2009

Seven Samurai


★★★★★
(Loved it)


Director: Akira Kurosawa
Starring: Takashi Shimura, Shinobu Hashimoto
Rating: PG-13
Runtime: 207 Minutes
Distributor: Toho
Release Date: November 19, 1956



Introduction

As I have read across countless "Top x Films" lists, one film that has been consistently ranked high is "Seven Samurai". Coming in at number 13 on the imdb's Top 250 list, "Seven Samurai" is a film that has been on my must watch list. While I have not gotten around to it as quick as I would have liked, I finally was able to give it a few this week. I would not say that I am a huge fan when it comes to older films. I have found myself having a hard time calling films such as "Lawrence of Arabia", "Citizen Kane", or "2001: A Space Odyssey" all time masterpieces. So going into "Seven Samurai", I was not sure if it would fall in the aftermentioned category or if I would stumble across a real gem.

The Film

The very first couple minutes of the movie had me very worried. I just could not shake the annoyingness of the villages as they complained. As the story progressed, my feelings shifted from being annoyed to intrigued and eventually in awe. The story tells the tale of a village that has been ransacked by bandits. The farmers converge with the village elder on developing a plan. The elder finally sets the task of sending farmers on a search for samurai to protect the village. The farmers return with seven samurai to protect the village and the battle ensues.

What leaves me in complete awe of "Seven Samurai" is how it was superbly made. For a film that was made in the early 50's (it was released in '54 in Japan, as opposed to '56 for the states) it honestly made films of that time and later downright laughable in terms of production. It has great lighting, props, sets, scenary, and most importantly characters. Each character is carefully crafted into a person that you cannot forget. Every character has a different look, personality, reasoning, and well-being to themselves that you do not experience in other films. Even the most minor characters that may be on screen for less than five minutes leave a big impact. There will be characters that you love, admire, and hate that combine for a chemistry that works so well.

"Seven Samurai" is masterpeice in story-telling. It knows when the film needs to be serious, comedic, romantic, and horrific. During the course of the film I do not think I have felt such shame, empathy, laughter, anger, or sorrow over the course of a film. I am having a hard time explaining everything that is present, but I feel that "Seven Samurai" nearly covers all aspects that one can think. What do people do when their only interest is themself? How does fear dictate what people do? How does the lust for an individual portray your way of life? The film asks questions on social aspects of life that are not limited in time, but human nature.

Many younger people today have a disdain for old films. I myself have found it hard to love some classics that many older people are in love with. I feel however that "Seven Samurai" is one that should just be skipped over. I feel that it needs to be watched by everyone at a certain point in their life. For filmmakers or film nuts, this film is a true gem that needs to be experienced immediately. While some people may not get too crazy over it, it hards not to pay respect to "Seven Samurai" in some regard. Akira Kurosawa carefully crafts "Seven Samurai" into not only a masterpiece of techincal beauty, but most an enlightening story with a memorable cast of characters.

From reading the review, it may sound like "Seven Samurai" is the greatest film off all time. I feel that is certainly not the case. The only reason I say that is that I don't have an absolute love for the film like I have for say "The Shawshank Redemption". Granted, it's one of the best movies I have seen but the replay value for this won't be extremely high. Clocking in at 3 hours and 26 minutes, it's hard imagining coming back to this often. This film is one that I can enjoy every 10 years ago and love. That said, "Seven Samurai" earns my highest recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment